Tuesday 5 March 2013

Friendly Setbacks, let them go!

It's been a while I left a post. I miss writing for you Pearls. Today is particularly a special day, so I am happy to write.
Let me let you know ahead of time  that I love all my friends and do not take them for granted. Fantastic individuals, without some of them, I just wonder.

On a lighter mood, one of my good funny friends, told us of how her sister and her group of friends were all gisting about  life after school. One after the other, they outlined their plans to be married, become teacher, doctor, etc after school. But a particular friend stood up when it was her turn to talk and said when she finishes from University, she wants to rest and take off all the University pressures. Everyone laughed and they went on with their lives.
Unfortunately for her, the Angel on duty that day agreed with what everyone said, they all left school and like prophecy coming to pass, all they wanted was falling into place as they planned, even the one who wanted to rest, did rest. Her mistake I guess was that she didn't specify how long she wanted to rest that day, so her resting continued for a long time, at least up to the point that my friend told me, she was still resting, I know somehow she'd have moved on now.  Funny! I didn't find it amusing at first because I felt she must have said those things innocently, however, her story regulated my thoughts, setting me permanently at +POSITIVE.

So, when it was my turn to keep friends, I use to think I chose them but I later realized that God brought them my way is a better way to put it. One of my friends called five of us together, she said she had an urge to pray for her future and family and she wanted us to do it together, we called ourselves Covenant friends, met at our different hostels, prayed, prayed, worshiped, worshiped, prophesied and lots more. There were times we couldn't pray much, we just cried on each others shoulders, asking God to take all emotional pains away and help us to please Him.


Courtesy: Precious Family Forever
Shockingly, years after school, I looked back and realized one after the other, four out of five of us were living their dreams, one became bank manager at a very tender age and married. Two started their own businesses and are doing well, both married, another was working with a reputable bank,married too, and the fifth friend was waiting patiently, Me! I refused to be a repeat of bad tales!!! (Laughs)
I can smile about it now, but the waiting period, wasn't such a pretty sight. All my friends were very supportive of me. I was welcomed and treated well at their homes. They were very sure and never seized to tell me that when my time comes,it will be mind blowing and it was.
 I want to say to you Pearls, recognize the good friends God brings your way. There were people I like to be friends with, but when I weigh my motives, I pause. I'd rather be friends with someone whose motivation and mine is not just to parade our goodness in front of others, but rather to please God. I feel safe like that.

It's a long epistle today, but take note Pearls. Beware of friends that might cause major setbacks that one won't be able to recover from. I have seen such happened. Your true friend should understand you, uncover your strength and weakness, make you feel safe, pray with you, trust you, take your side when you are not there, have the same beliefs with you etc.
My husband told me about some not too good places he knows about in Nigeria, he went on and on and in my mind I knew I'd been so some of those places somehow, through some friends of course, as I wanted to be honest with him, I blurted with descriptions; I've been there, that place too, that other one too, I thought I told you. He laughed with his common line; "my wife, you didn't tell me that one o"! He turned towards me looking serious this time, he said, 'You were lucky not to have been raped' Trust me, I was quick to answer, 'I didn't hang out with rapist'.

It is important you have the right people around you. If there are such friends, who make you think less of God, or make you feel in-secured, furnishing you with inferiority complex, I beg, you need them not, thou must let them go!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for good friends. U are making sense Nike and I pray this youngsters listen. I beg reply my mail o. It's urgent pls.

The way out said...

Thanks Anonymous 1. I will anonymously reply you asap. Anonymous indeed! I know that line even in my sleep. 'U are making sense'.Lol...

Unknown said...

i use to say i choose my friends they dont choose, now i ll rather say God choose them for me.....truly ur association goes a long way determining how far you can go in life, grow spiritually and d things ur mind comprehend...God help us.

The way out said...

Amen Pearl! Since we are always engaged with friends one way or the other, I think it is essential to have the right set of friends around us. Thanks dear.

Unknown said...

Hmmmmmmn......as 4 me I just find pple arund me nd f we re connectin well sme pple just start openin up 2 yu and l8r feels yu re invadin their privacy Helping someone with their problems and telling them what's right isn't judging,it's caring....I rily dnt understand young girls....I prefer making frnds wiv older pple and learn 4rm dem my aunties re my bestie...I Never get too attached to fake pple because attachments leads to expectations and expectations leads to disappointments.

The way out said...

It's fine Pearl, to make friends with whoever respects your privacy. Irrespective of age, consider my points,more so, there is nothing wrong with being extra careful about choosing your friends. Thanks for following me.

Anonymous said...

At least I have good friends I feel safe with. Lucky me. May be if some of us had people like you to write stuffs like this for us to read years back, we would have known who to run from and who to embrace as friends. God bless u as u shine this light for them to see.

Unknown said...

for me age s not a criteria for gud friends.sme mit b young n still b a gud friend sme mit b older n av notin to offer dan to mar u....plz lets choose wisely rather pray God choose d best for you

The way out said...

Word! Insightful. Lola I beg you in God's name, write good English for me o! It took me extra time to understand. Lol...Plsss my Pearl and No 1. fan.

Unknown said...

i will try ma im just so use to does abreviations ,loooolz....

The way out said...

Please babe. I will appreciate it. Our blog is posh you know. Lol...